Ways to Give

Ways to Pay Your Pledge

Pay by check

As usual, you can pay your pledge by check monthly, quarterly or in a lump sum.  This can be mailed to our Office Administrator, Annie Gentile, in the church office or placed in the collection plate.   Please write ”pledge” on the memo line.

Pay by using Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)

Complete an EFT form to have funds automatically withdrawn from your checking account on a regular basis (monthly or quarterly).  A new EFT form is required annually.

Pay using the “Donate” button on our website

Please also note that we have added a “Donate” button on the UUS:E website (www.uuse.org) that allows members and friends to contribute to the Community Outreach program and/or pay their pledge using either a credit /debit card or PayPal account.

Pay by directing payments from an Individual Retirement Account

If you are subject to Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from your IRA, you can instruct your IRA fund manager to make tax-free distributions up to $100,000 annually directly to qualified charities (these are called Qualified Charitable Distributions or QCDs) including to UUS:E. It is possible to use the QCD approach at age 70 1/2 before RMDs are required (currently age 73).

A QCD must adhere to the following requirements:

  • You must be at least 70½ years old at the time you request a QCD.
  • If you process a distribution prior to reaching age 70½, the distribution will be treated

as taxable income.

  • If you are taking Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) from your retirement accounts,

the QCD may count as part of the RMD.

  • You must arrange for the transfer from your IRA directly to UUS:E

For example, your fund manager can send a check payable to UUS:E to you and you can mail to the church office or you can instruct your fund manager to send a check payable to UUS:E directly to the church office. If you withdraw funds from your IRA and then forward a personal check to UUS:E, you will need to pay federal and state taxes. In any case, Annie needs to know who sent the check.

Pay by donating securities –

If you own stocks that have appreciated in value since you acquired them, you can donate them to UUS:E in satisfaction of your pledge.  You can take a deduction for the fair market value (FMV) at the date of donation if the assets have been held for at least a year and will avoid a capital gains tax on the amount of appreciation. If you are planning this method of payment, please contact our office administrator, Annie, ([email protected]), in advance.