For all those who’ve been feeling the need to show their support for the people of Ferguson, MO and Staten Island, NY, there are a number of events coming up that may be of interest to you.
Saturday, December 6th, Noon. “Never Forgetting Ferguson” Solidarity March. Meet at the corner of Main St. and Albany Ave. and then march to Keney Park. Join Rev. Henry Brown, founder of Mothers United Against Violence, Connecticut United Against Mass Incarceration & others! Facebook users click here.
Saturday December 6th, 1:00 PM. “Journey to Justice!” Join the New Britain branch of the NAACP and leaders and activists of the New Britain and the surrounding region who will march and rally in solidarity with protesters marching from Ferguson to Jefferson City, MO. Meet at the Martin Luther King Jr. monument at the corner of MLK Dr. and Smalley St. in New Britain. Rally at Central Park across from City Hall. More info at the New Britain Herald.
Wednesday, December 10th, 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM. “Drop All Charges Against Luis Anglero, Jr.” Vigil outside the courthouse at 80 Washington St., Hartford. More info at Bill of Rights Defense Committee.
Here are some resources you may wish to review:
Showing Up For Racial Justice organizes white people to engage in racial justice work.
“A Herstory of the #BlackLivesMatter Movement” by Alicia Garza is an excellent article about the origins of #BlackLivesMatter, about why #BlackLivesMatter matters, and about the way queer black women have at times been silenced in the movement.
Standing on the Side of Love, the UU campaign for justice has many more resources to respond to Ferguson, Staten Island, etc.
Black moms Tell White Moms about Race by Aisha Sultan.
6 things White Parents Can do to Raise Racially Conscious Kids, by Bree Ervin.
Here are some simple action steps you can take for racial justice:
- Make a donation to groups working for racial justice in Ferguson and elsewhere. Here is a compilation of suggestions on where to contribute funds.
- Talk to your family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers about Ferguson, Staten Island and racism.
- Write a letter to the editor about what the inherent worth and dignity of all people means to you.
- Come to one of the rallys/marches/vigils mentioned above.
- The UUS:E Social Justice / Anti-Oppression Committee meets every First Tuesday of the month in Rev. Josh’s office at UUS:E at 7:00 PM. All are welcome.