Mix dry ingredients in a bowl:
- 280g wheat gluten (2 cup)
- 120g nutritional yeast (1 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic (more or less)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tblsp fennel seed
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley (optional)
- 2 tsp black pepper
Gradually add wet:
- 85g tomato paste (1/2 can, I suggest making ice cubes out of the remainder)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3 tblsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tblsp oil
For a loaf, form into a cylinder and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake at 325 45 mins, flip, 45 more mins.
For wheatballs, form into balls and disburse onto foil. I use two sheets to make it more manageable. Use additional sheets to cover and crimp edges to seal. Bake at 325 70 mins.
For best results with the tomato basil version, cook in tomato sauce for a couple hours.
For curry flavored:
- skip the fennel seed
- add 1 tblsp curry powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander
For more of a pot roast/meatloaf flavor:
- skip the fennel seed and basil
- add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp sage
Paul Cocuzzo, Feb 2017