Sustainable Living Committee
(and Climate Action Team)
- The Sustainable Living Committee, Climate Action Team, and Citizen’s Climate Lobby are sponsoring the movie “Merchants of Doubt” on Friday, September 25th. Popcorn and refreshments will start at 6:45 PM, with the movie and discussion beginning at 7 PM. The documentary by Robert Kenner is based on the book of the same name by Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway. The film compares those who sow seeds of doubt about climate change to those in the tobacco industry who tried for years to convince the public that tobacco was safe. All are invited!
- Coming up: Climate Stewardship Summit on Thursday, November 5th. Sponsored by IREJN, the summit will be 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM at Congregation Beth Israel, West Hartford. Building on the Pope’s call for a moral response to climate change, it will be an action oriented agenda. The afternoon speaker is “celebrated climate activist” Tim DeChristopher, a well-known Unitarian Universalist. More information can be found at the website IRENJ.org.
- Don’t miss this month’s Green Tip.
News and Links:
Summer Jobs that help your Mother Earth. There are many possibilities. The following sources are described on page 18 of the EDF Solutions Journal, which is located at: http://www.edf.org/sites/default/files/content/solutions_winter2015.pdf
- CoolWorks: http://www.coolworks.com
- National Parks Service: http://www.1.usa.gov/1uO2q5j
- NY: http://nysinternships.com/nnyl/ Look for environmental agencies, such as Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine.
- EDF: http://www.edf.org/jobs/internships-fellowships
- NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries: http://www.1.usa.gov/1AtDN10
- Society for Conservation Biology: http://www.bit.ly/1xz2BCp
- Student Conservation Association: http://www.thesca.org
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: http://www.1.usa.gov/11T0rlk
Don’t overlook CT’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection college internships: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2688&q=322346&deepNav_GID=1511 and Appalachian Mountain Club’s trail volunteers at:
*Reminder: Equal Exchange products are available in the meetinghouse lobby on the second Sunday of the month. They are organic and fair trade. If you would like to order a full case of Single-Serve Cups from Equal Exchange, contact Kat Dargan at firstname.lastname@example.org. A case of six boxes (12 cups per box) is $50. We will have boxes of six available without pre-ordering for $8.50.