We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and com passion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
- Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.
Unitarian Universalist Society: East is a welcoming, open-minded, spiritual community seeking truth and meaning in its many forms. We share responsibility for building a more equitable, peaceful, and sustainable world.
Unitarian Universalist Society: East will be the vibrant spiritual home to a richly diverse and growing congregation. Members and staff will share our many talents, skills, and gifts to ensure our financial strength, to nurture a soul-stretching, heart-centered, open-minded community, and to work toward social and environmental justice. Our ministry and mission will be transformative and far-reaching.
We will strive to…
- Treat each other with respect
- Foster an encouraging and supportive congregational culture
- Engage each other with love, compassion, kindness and forgiveness
- Listen with an open heart and mind
- Speak our truths thoughtfully, openly and directly
- Acknowledge and recognize conflict as an opportunity for growth and understanding
- Welcome, accept and care for one another
- Nurture generous spirits
- Be sensitive to dynamics of power and privilege as they relate to race, class, gender, sexual orientation, ability and age
- Be accountable to one another and honor our commitments
- Maintain and encourage a sense of humor
- Learn and participate in Unitarian Universalist Society: East’s established system of due process and governance
If any of the above fails, we strive for forgiveness.